Tag Archives: Tech

YC-Backed Amulyte Is Building A Better Lifeline For Seniors On The Move | TechCrunch

19 Aug

YC-Backed Amulyte Is Building A Better Lifeline For Seniors On The Move | TechCrunch.

Amulyte isn’t the first startup to tackle the senior-sensing problem: Virginia-based BeClose pulled back the curtain on its own in-home monitoring system last year, while the team at Lively tried to crack the code by tracking objects around the house instead of people. Still, the pair have cooked up one of the few monitoring schemes that can keep tabs on seniors wherever they go, and opening up that backend to multiple caretakers means that loved ones and professionals always have access to the same information is an awfully smart move.


What Doctors think about New Elder-Care Technologies

1 Feb

Wouldn’t it be interesting to know what doctors think about all these new digital-health gadgets and gizmos flooding the markets promising grand outcomes. We’ve found the views of a senior geriatrician tackling this issue very objectively:

“These days, I look at a lot of websites describing some kind of product or solution related to the healthcare of older adults. Sometimes it’s because I have a clinical problem I’m trying to solve. (Can any of these sleep gadgets provide data — sleep latency, nighttime awakenings, total sleep time — on my elderly patient’s sleep complaints?)

In other cases, it’s because a family caregiver asks me if they should purchase some gizmo or sensor system they heard about. (“Do you think this will help keep my mom safe at home?”)”

Leslie Kernisan, MD, MPH, considers the questions doctors and family caregivers should ask when considering new technology. Read more here on the Healthcare Blog. This is a great guide for assessing value.

Aha: Study shows Older Americans love Tech, but hate to admit it

29 Jan

This is interesting 🙂

Though 88.5% of Americans over 45 consider themselves slow to adopt new technologies, 89% will embrace something new when it’s better than what they currently use. When older Americans think new technologies fit into their lifestyles, 84.5% say they’ll embrace them. And despite considering themselves slow to adopt, 79.2% of Americans find technology fun and enjoy trying out new gadgets.

Following a recent Pew Internet study showing that older Americans have embraced technology, software maker Perion decided to explore how people over 45 view their devices. The study, released Monday, polled 2,963 American respondents over 45 (86% of whom were over 55). Just 11% of respondents are classified as “early adopters,” while the remaining 89% are classified as “second wave adopters.

Read more of the Mashable Article by Zoe Fox here.

Seniors are avid adopters of technology, but mostly want to seem hesitant. Why do you think this is so?